Gale's Open Road
Drive Overcame Experience (0:48)
Love The Medium (0:37)
Say Yes (1:54)
TV Called Me (0:51)
Crazy Babbling Sunshine
Public Television: Season 8
Pastry Chef/Food Network Host
art school, business, calling, Chicago, Europe, familiar, food, france, grunt work, high school, home, jewelry, learn, lying, opportunities, path, piano, restaurant, travel, tv
- When she was in high school, she got into jewelry making; took every class possible, exhausted the school’s metal-working classes.
- Found more classes outside of school, negotiated getting extra credit for them; says that’s the start of her being a “self-managed person.”
- Eventually went to art school to keep pursuing jewelry-making; began to hate it, but loved her after-school waitressing job.
- One day, one of the chefs didn’t show up, they threw Gale an apron and said, “You can cook; get in the kitchen.”
- She was panicked, but once she stepped into the kitchen, “it was like speaking a language you didn’t know you knew...like a calling.”
- She quit art school, moved to France for a year; would go into restaurants and ask if she could watch from a corner, would help out with grunt work.
- Friend asked if she could fill a pastry chef position, she didn’t know pastry but said yes; says always say yes, even if you don’t know how to do something.