Gabe's Open Road
The Company's Values (1:08)
Opportunities Will Come (0:38)
Take Risks (0:59)
Environmental Sustainability (1:30)
Director of Sustainability
career, challenge, chemical engineering, collaboration, comfort zone, company, construction, environment, graduate school, happiness, innovation, instincts, job, opportunities, options, passion, sustainability, value, values, work
- When he was trying to pick a college degree, he checked a list of "top earning majors" and picked chemical engineering because it ranked first.
- He spent four years studying at the University of Michigan and "hated it" the entire time.
- Because he'd hated his major, he went the opposite way after graduation and got a job doing construction.
- After nearly falling off of a three-story roof, he realized he'd probably be safer actually using his degree.
- Once he was applying his chemical engineering skills in the real world, he realized he actually enjoyed the field.
- He went back to graduate school at Michigan State to further expand upon his chemical engineering skills.
- When he first took his job at Herman Miller, he had no training in that specific field; says he couldn't sleep for weeks.
- Once he realized how much his beliefs aligned with the company's values, he knew he could freely dig in and learn how to be great at his job.