Ely's Open Road
Sticking To Our Values (0:51)
Farmers Market (1:01)
Definition of Success (1:59)
New York, NY
Up Mountain Switchel
Show up. Show up, and do the work, and make yourself valuable.
agriculture, balance, community, design, entrepreneurship, experience, fail, farmers market, interest, profit, recycling, success, values
- Key originally heard about switchel from his father, who used to drink it when he worked the family farm in Vermont.
- He made a batch and introduced the beverage to his friend (and now co-founder) Garrett Riffle.
- The two were business and design-minded, so they decided they could team up and sell the beverage.
- They made their first batch and took it to the farmer's market, where they made a $200 dollar profit.
- In the early days of Up Mountain's history, the two spent a lot of time tweaking the recipe, and bottling and packaging by hand.
- Says if they cared only about making profits, there are ways they could compromise their product.
- However, they've chosen to put their core values-reusable bottles, for example-ahead of their need for money.
- Says the best thing a young person can do is to show up ready for the job and bring something new to the table.