Elizabeth's Open Road
ELIZABETH CLAY ROY
Chief Strategy Officer
Phipps Neighborhoods, South Bronx Rising Together
Have enough inner confidence and drive to believe that any little dream you hold inside of you can be big enough and strong enough to overcome people's expectations.
- Both her grandparents and her parents were teachers who worked hard to get her a good education.
- She struggled with a sense of inferiority in school and had to make sure she didn't "carry that with her into adulthood."
- Realized that maybe society didn't expect much out of her, but decided that she wouldn't let her star be dimmed by anyone's low expectations.
- Serves as co-director of South Bronx Rising Together, a network of nonprofits and community leaders working to improve the South Bronx neighborhood.
- Says she never would've said "I want to do community work when I grow up," and yet as she began to do the work, she realized it was her passion.
- Believes that in the South Bronx, there's a lot of talent and drive, but young adults don't have enough outlets for their creativity.
- Says that the people and peers you keep around you will play a huge part in whether or not you reach your dreams.
- By the same token, she advises that you be a positive partner and friend to others, and help the people in your life achieve their own goals.