Eiko's Open Road
Quiet Place (0:37)
First Job (0:51)
Guided By Virtues (0:38)
Public Television: Season 12
breathing, creativity, design, family, fear, friends, identity, inspiration, Instinct, interior design, Japan, listen, listen to yourself, over thinking, possibility, quiet time, something more, teacher, the unknown, transition
- Majored in aesthetics/art philosophy in Japan, but quickly realized her major was not particularly marketable in the job industry.
- While she was in this in-between state, she found herself constantly rearranging her furniture to calm her.
- Realized that this practice of designing her home was what she wanted to do with her life, went into interior design.
- Moved to the U.S. to pursue more design opportunities; got a stroke of luck, found a job right before her visa expired.
- Says that deciding to go into interior design was not a "long, philosophical conversation" with herself-her passion was obvious.
- Believes most of our interests should be obvious, but we complicate them; once you're grounded, you can "see what emerges."
- Says her "North Star" in her designs is her virtue; in her career and her personal life, she tries to do what feels right and honest.
- Doesn't believe that you should tune out others' advice, but says you should always put your own voice above the others.