Devorah's Open Road
Be Present (0:27)
What's The Worst Thing That Will Happen? (0:28)
Overcome Negativity (0:18)
Fire In Your Belly (0:27)
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 2
San Francisco Poet Laureate 2002-2006
acting, being in the moment, being open, dance, living, living your own life, poetry, travel
- Was always interested in the arts; went to college to study acting and dance, wrote poetry on the side.
- Dropped out of college after a year and traveled around Asia, says it “blew open [her] head.”
- On dropping out to travel, she says, “What’s the worst thing that’ll happen? You’re one year, two years older. You went for something, so you never ask ‘what if?’”
- Went back to school at San Francisco State University, tried to pursue her acting career but people kept asking about her writing.
- Says she got “sucked into poetry, not of her own volition,” but her writing spoke to people.
- There was suddenly “a fire in her belly,” she found herself staying awake writing until 3 a.m.
- Says that she didn’t ever think of having a career as a poet, but by “being present in the now,” she was able to seize upon crucial opportunities.
- Deals with negativity by saying, “those people aren’t living my life.”