Derek's Open Road
Anger, Hatred, and Sadness (0:26)
Cut Off from the World (1:00)
Do It Anyway (1:02)
Fitness Therapy (1:02)
My Own Gym (0:53)
Serving Others (0:29)
El Paso, TX
Co-Founder & President
The Next Objective
alcoholism, anger, athlete, change, depression, drive, emotional, fitness, focus, helping others, hobby, injury, motivation, obstacles, positivity, purpose, role models, sad, skills, thrive
- As a young adult, he loved films like Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers.
- Joined the Army when he was 17 and immediately loved it; he enjoyed the physical challenges and the camaraderie of being a soldier.
- After taking a bullet through the knee, getting his leg amputated, and being medically retired from the military, he felt that he’d lost his dream job.
- Went through a period of deep depression until one of his friends invited him to join his “Tough Mudder” team.
- He finally felt like he’d found his next purpose, at least for the short term; says that the tough mudder race meant nothing, but at the same time, “saved his life.”
- After completing the difficult, muddy course, people started to view him as an inspirational figure.
- He took advantage of the traction he was getting on social media and started an apparel company called The Next Objective.
- The Next Objective donates proceeds to fund gym memberships and personal training sessions for vets, seeking to motivate them through fitness-based activities.