Dennis' Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
The Original Roadtrip
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
Special Effects Guru
8-Time Academy Award Winner
business, energy, fun, making mistakes, medicine, Star Wars
- From the age of six or seven, he knew he liked visual effects, says it never felt like it would be a "career path," just a hobby.
- In college, he crammed all of his classes into two days so he could make films the rest of the week.
- He went to Pasadena City College and California State University, Los Angeles, where his parents continually told him to study business.
- Eventually got tired of living at home, had to get "some job," found an entry-level job that would be easy enough to leave him time for movies.
- He'd been doing effects for a company run by George Lucas, got offered the Star Wars job.
- Obviously didn't know that Star Wars was going to be a big deal, almost passed because they weren't offering enough money.
- Realized if he didn't get that job, he'd have to go back to his entry-level inhalation therapy job.
- Called them back, said I'll do Star Wars for pretty much any price; from there, has gone on on to win nine Academy Awards for special effects.