Debbie's Open Road
United States 2008
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 5
If you find something that is really your passion, it'll just keep coming up in your head even when you're doing other things.
grad school, influence, learning, limited, media, mtv, Nickelodeon, odd jobs, off time, woman's studies, women's movement
- She went to college and wanted to pursue multiple things, among them computer science and psychology.
- Could’ve gone into computer engineering because she was very good at it; sometimes regrets not taking that lucrative path.
- “Work is not necessarily the most satisfying thing in a person’s life” so take a job that affords you freedoms to pursue other interests.
- She took some feminist studies classes and figured out that this “puzzle about women” had her completely hooked.
- Wrote her dissertation on the media’s effect on women; got her Ph.D. from Yale University.
- Took a job working in the “typing banks” at MTV, then at Nickelodeon; constantly thought “what am I doing here?”
- After being inspired by Sassy magazine, she and some friends founded BUST in 1993; kept her day job to pay the rent.
- Grew readership from 500 to over 300,000 readers, went from four issues a year to six issues a year, just kept expanding.