David's Open Road
State of Hawaii
People know when you really are passionate about what you’re doing. They can see when you make an effort.
- Went to college at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa, where he earned his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering.
- While there, he served as student body secretary, and was treasurer and vice-president of his fraternity, Phi Delta Sigma.
- Before he became a politician, he spent 34 years working as an electrical engineer; his early work was in sustainable energy.
- His political career began in 1985, when he was appointed to the Hawaii House of Representatives.
- He represented Hawaii in both the House and Senate prior to winning the gubernatorial race in 2014.
- On his road to becoming governor, he became the first person ever to beat the incumbent Governor of Hawaii in a primary.
- Says although he knew he was fighting a near-impossible battle against the incumbent, he had to try for Hawaii’s sake.
- As governor, he champions conserving Hawaii's natural resources and increasing STEM education in Hawaii's schools.