David's Open Road
Self Education (1:34)
It's About Perspective (2:30)
Artists Support Group (1:08)
Los Angeles, CA
Public Television: Season 3
Filmmaker / Photojournalist
8mm camera, artist support group, college textbooks, doing it for yourself, dyslexia, dyslexic, expectations, happiness, immediate gratification, insecurities, insecurity, just do it, perspective, self critical, self education
- Was constantly called "stupid" as a kid; was actually struggling with dyslexia and vowel deafness.
- Figured out he'd have to teach himself; picked up his mom's 8mm camera and felt "immediate gratification" when he'd print his images.
- Knew he didn't have the grades, funds to go to USC's film school; moved to Los Angeles anyway, would visit USC bookstore, buy the course books.
- Says he originally took the photos for himself; realized he needed outside perspective and went to an artist support group.
- Realized all artists had the same insecurities; he just had to stop worrying if other people were going to like his images.
- Says, "screw confidence; just do it," the more risk you take, the stronger your confidence grows.
- Realized high expectations lead to frustrations; instead, makes reachable goals for himself.
- One example of a reachable goal was "get a job in television," now has multiple Emmys from working his way up from there.