David's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Roadtrip Nation Staff
Costa Mesa, CA
Live: Season 1
Director of Education
Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific
biology, career, degree, giant squid, Jacques Cousteau, job, marine biology, motivation, nature, ocean, people
- When he was little, he watched a Jacques Cousteau documentary; asked his dad, “what does that guy do?”
- Knew he wanted to be a marine biologist, worked hard to get into the University of California, Santa Cruz, an excellent school for the field.
- Was intimidated once he realized that a huge number of people also wanted to be marine biologists.
- Every time he and his friends would explore the forests around Santa Cruz, he’d be educating his friends on plants and animals.
- Wasn’t counseled on how to convert his degree into a career; always knew what he wanted to do, but had to find a specific path on his own.
- Realized he liked talking to people and teaching people about something they knew nothing about.
- Works as the director of education at the Aquarium of the Pacific, where he gets to “convey the wonder of the ocean” to other people.
- Loves that his job allows him to explore; he views the ocean as his own personal “frontier.”