Damon's Open Road
This Is My Stoop (1:10)
The Best School Is Experience (2:50)
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 3
appreciation, attitude, belief, believe in something, childhood, death, fearless, good intentions, growing up, Harlem, karma, life is a test, school, security, tragedy, work ethic
- Was primed to be a businessman from a young age, when he’d always introduce himself as “Damon Dash.”
- Says his fellow high school students would’ve voted him “Least Likely to Succeed,” but he always knew he would be rich.
- Never wanted a boss, never wanted to work for anyone but himself.
- Always equated money with success because in Harlem, where he grew up, you needed money to get respect.
- Lost his mother at age 15, but says that pain and loss of a safety net made him become fearless.
- Still doesn’t feel successful, because now he constantly meets people he considers much more successful than he is.
- Says “school is great,” but also preaches the value of experience: “If you know what you want to do, you have to go live it.”
- Believes in karma; says always be honest, always have a good intent, and never expect anyone to hand anything to you.