Chris' Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Roadtrip Nation Staff
Los Angeles, CA
acting, actress, directing, feature film, journalism, New York, new zealand, odd jobs, play, theatre, wrong idea
- By 21, she was a senior journalist with a nice apartment, car, dog, but was unhappy, says she "hated the sound of [her] own voice."
- Was part of what she calls the "Great Female Migration" to New York; played a Patti Smith record and decided to move there.
- Originally went to New York to be an actress but learned that wasn't going to work out; took a series of "bad temp jobs."
- Realized filmmaking might be another good medium; "could've made films forever, except that no one wanted to watch them."
- Got the chance to make a feature film, put in three-and-a-half years, then it didn't get shown anywhere.
- Was in "complete despair," ended up getting in a car accident because she was so disconnected and unhappy.
- Developed a "crush" and put her energy into writing love letters; finally had "something to live for," letters became her first book.
- Started writing novels; can't believe she hadn't started writing earlier, says she was "like a horse out of the gate," she'd found her passion.