Chris' Open Road
Chris Flink Highlight (1:52)
The Original Roadtrip
Palo Alto, CA
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
acceptance, approval, convincing others, dreaming, perspective, realistic, rock star, self belief, selling out, Stanford, unrealistic
- Says, "there's a lot of room between being completely unrealistic and thinking you're gonna be a rockstar and totally selling out."
- Don't turn your back on your talents, the parts of your soul that allow you to "participate" in the world.
- Went to Stanford University, says he struggled to make choices about his career path.
- Ended up in product design to kill time, procrastinate until he found something else.
- One of his professors started IDEO, told Chris he should get serious about product design, that he had a talent there.
- Moved to New York to hone his skills before returning to San Francisco to work for that very same professor at IDEO.
- Says he "spent all of my time and energy compelling others that I was good at what I was doing," realized he had to prove it to himself.