Cheryl's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
10K Miles From Home
Los Angeles, CA
Indie: Team 10k Miles from Home (US)
audition, bartending, crossroads, Curb Your Enthusiasm, disappointment, Groundlings, humiliation, performing, rejection, trying, uncomfortable
- Turned 30 while she was bartending in Los Angeles; had no agent, no jobs; knew she had to get serious ASAP or move back to Florida.
- Decided "I'd rather die trying"; she'd wanted to be an actress her whole life, this was the time and place.
- Says she learned to live with disappointment; got rejected at audition after audition.
- Started performing at Groundlings, an improv club; impressed a producer with one of her skits.
- She was so convinced that she wouldn't get the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" job that she wasn't even nervous.
- Hit it off with Larry David immediately; was told she had the job that very same day; show turned out to be her "big break."
- Still has moments-meeting Robin Williams, for example-where she realizes all of her struggles were "all worth it."
- Says "you have to be okay with failing," because the worst thing you can do is be paralyzed by your fears.