Cheryl's Open Road
Doing Things With My Hands (1:21)
What Turned Me Around (1:31)
All Those Ology's (0:42)
The Safe Path (1:26)
San Jose Team
Public Television: Season 4
adoration, animals, art school, cancer, church, creating, discouragement, exposure, illness, making things, parents, real estate, safe path, safety, school, science, suffering, time, veterinarian, working with your hands
- Originally wanted to be a veterinarian; realized she wasn't the kind of student who was cut out for the sciences.
- After reevaluating her path, she realized she liked working with her hands, making art; went back to school at Howard University to study art.
- Her parents wanted her to have a "safe" career: "I was a gross disappointment when art became my path."
- Was with a partner who discouraged her from pursuing art as a career, told her, "that's a hobby."
- She listened, put her art to the side; became a real estate appraiser to pay the bills, did it for 20 years.
- Says she "suffered silently," resented him, resented her choice, knew she was supposed to be making art.
- Saw her mother pass away without living out some of her dreams-visiting the Bahamas, taking a hot air balloon ride; decided to go back to art.
- Even the "comfort" of being financially stable couldn't persuade her to going back to "the suit"; doing what she loves supersedes everything else.