Charna's Open Road
Follow The Fear (0:47)
Lessons Along The Way (0:26)
Focus On The Now (1:52)
Public Television: Season 2
attitude, broadcasting, career, challenges, comedy, daydream, decisions, happiness, improv, interviewing, parents, paths, positivity, radio, say yes, school teacher, teacher, try things, trying new things, what defines you
- Thought she’d have to choose one career and it’d define who she was: “I am a schoolteacher.”
- Says don’t be too worried about your first career choice; that first job might just be preparing you for something else down the line.
- Her dad opened the first McDonald’s in her hometown; she gave an interview at the grand opening.
- Her interview was so engaging, the host let her interview more people; radio station ended up hiring her as a broadcaster.
- Moved to Chicago for radio show; was goofing around at a party when a friend told her to audition at Second City: “I always say yes.”
- She “bombed” that audition, but she started taking improv classes and fell in love with it.
- Ended up literally “writing the book” on improv, becoming somewhat of an improvisational “guru.”
- Says that people are too often focused on the money, or the “end goal”; if you want to do anything, you have to focus on the “now.”