Charles' Open Road
Ticket To A Career (0:34)
Knowing Who You Are (0:49)
Work To Be Proud Of (1:07)
Other: Montreal Team
Shanti and UCSF School of Medicine
asking questions, cancer, formula, illness, life's work, math, moon landing project, people, psychology, science, self discovery, space, Sputnik
- When he was young, Russia launched Sputnik 1, America pushed kids into science and technology fields in response.
- Was working on the moon landing project-"a ticket to a career"-and decided he didn't want it.
- Didn't care as much about the project as he cared about the people that were working on it.
- Once it was clear that he loved studying people, he did everything he could to pursue it more, learn more.
- Says too many people follow "formulas" that pretend to be correct; doesn't think it's that crazy that he went from science to psychology.
- Joined the staff at the University of California, San Francisco's cancer institute.
- Most proud of the first thing he did: walked up and down a floor of dying patients and realized they were lonely and scared.
- Founded Shanti project, which had volunteers work with seriously ill and dying patients, the first of its kind.