Cathryn's Open Road
Failure is Fine (0:47)
Fashion and PR (0:42)
Internship then Job (0:34)
Graphic Design (1:12)
Life is Just Beginning (0:38)
Tune Out the Noise (1:13)
Spring Break Roadtrip
Redondo Beach, CA
Senior Account Manager
Pistol & Stamen
art, comfort zone, communication, design, different direction, education, fashion, graphic design, internship, leaving home, public relations, public relations firm, support system, teaching yourself, trying new things
- She grew up in Denver, Colorado and attended college nearby at Colorado Christian University.
- Got her bachelor’s degree in elementary education because her mom was a teacher and it seemed like a secure career path.
- After graduating, she started teaching and realized she didn’t like it as much as she’d thought she would.
- Her dream had always been to move to Los Angeles and break into fashion but she wasn’t sure where she’d fit into the industry.
- At one point, she had a conversation with her mother where she expressed interest in connecting celebrities with magazines, but at the time, she didn’t even know that job existed.
- One day, she came home from work and her dad said to her, “You’re not loving this. You need to move to Los Angeles.”
- She made the move, and once she was living in L.A., she met a friend who got her an internship at a boutique fashion public relations agency—she loved it.
- After doing the work for free for over a year, a job opportunity opened up, and she got her first job in fashion PR—the field she’d unknowingly discussed with her mom all those years ago.