Cary's Open Road
Music As Therapy (1:08)
The Garden State Soundtrack (3:38)
I Second That Emotion
Indie: Indie Roadtrips
Everyone's so afraid to take a risk, but taking a risk-that's the good part.
- After he graduated from college, moved to Los Angeles to work on films.
- Always loved movies, thought that's what he should be doing, but was also enjoying writing music.
- Had kept his music private-"I didn't think anybody would ever want to listen."
- Realized he was helping all of these writers, directors "realize their creative vision," knew he had to start doing that for himself.
- Says it was hard to tell his parents he was going to leave a steady job to pursue music, play open mics.
- Starting in LA was intimidating, cutthroat, but found a community at Hotel Cafe, felt comfortable there.
- Says he's continually evolving as a musician, realizing he knows nothing and starting all over again.
- Used to be terrified of failing but has taught himself to take risks and learn through his failures.