Bruce's Open Road
Gain Skills (1:11)
It's How Not What (0:55)
All Along The Way (0:49)
Enjoy What's In Front Of You (0:21)
Reach Long (0:27)
Bruce Schwab Energy Systems
If achieving the big goal taught me anything, it's that these little things are the most important.
- Had an "unconventional" upbringing: sailed with his dad for three years, lived on a boat through high school, became "the boat kid."
- "Didn't last long" in college, was distracted by his love of sailing; dropped out, started working at a rigging shop.
- Saw his dad getting into solo racing, kept making suggestions; dad said, "Fine, why don't you try it?"
- Entered his first solo race and won the whole thing.
- Worked at a rig shop, tangential to his passion, but 9-to-5 lifestyle didn't suit him; needed one big goal, "needed something to happen."
- Decided to make that goal the Vendee Globe, a non-stop race around the world that no American had ever finished.
- Prepared for the race for five years; didn't win the race, but finished, which was momentous; governor of Maine declared a "Bruce Schwab Day."
- Now that he achieved that goal, he's still trying to figure out what to do next, working on the guitar tunes he's been wanting to learn.