Bruce's Open Road
I don't buy 'go with the flow'-if you don't put your hands in the river at some point, you're gonna crash or just get stuck in one eddy for the rest of your life.
- Started with a plan laid out for him: people in his town either went to law school, med school, or business school.
- Was "meek," "a good little sheep," so he originally went to business school.
- Wasn't what he wanted to do, but got through it by picking up photography in his spare time.
- Formed groups of photographers that would go on "outings" together; realized kids would enjoy these photography explorations.
- Worked with classrooms teaching photography, was offered teaching job on Navajo reservation.
- No one thought he would make it-had no teaching experience, no knowledge of Navajo heritage.
- Was put into a classroom with 12 at-risk kids that no one thought would succeed, said they all struggled together.
- Says he's still not "comfortable" financially, but he tends not to "hike on trails," is okay with some volatility as long as he's happy.