Bobby's Open Road
Don't Stop Till You Get It Done (1:00)
Don't Entertain Fear (0:35)
Act Now (1:52)
Life is a Blur (1:12)
The Bottom Line (0:46)
You're The Bus Driver (0:43)
United States 2008
Public Television: Season 5
BOBBY THOMAS JR
American Bandstand, dream, drumming, drums, Florida A&M, follow your heart, hobbies, Jewish temple, learning, making time, marching band, middle class, mindset, parents, power, priorities, putting yourself first, time management, what if, youth
- Came home from school everyday to his mother singing along to American Bandstand-first introduction to music.
- Then he saw the Florida A&M marching band; "Everything was so fast and perfect...wow, I wanna play like that."
- His father took a job at a Jewish temple; now he was hearing cantillations, added on to his rock and drumming influences.
- A friend introduced him to Ray Charles' drummer, Billy Peeples, who taught him swing, bebop drumming.
- Transferred his knowledge into his preferred method of hand drumming; innovated, popularized hand drumming.
- Says, "make yourself a priority"-if you get excited by something, you obviously love doing it, should pursue it.
- Make time for all of your hobbies and passions; like "the head of a corporation," make time and get them done.