Bob's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Musician / Writer / Documentarian
It's ordinary people that can make the difference; honestly, people's power is the only way to change a system that is not a good system.
- Part of Australia's "Stolen Generation"; taken from his Aboriginal home, placed in a Christian institution.
- Aboriginal children are taken to bush camps and are taught the stories, songs, dances and art forms of their ancestors.
- Randall was taken from his home, family before he got to experience this camp; his heritage was "taken away."
- Was taken to a Methodist island with hundreds of other Aboriginal children, had to live in a dorm and he hated it.
- Spent years trying to go back to his home, find his parents; finally found out that they'd both passed away.
- After that heartache, he wrote out a 50-verse song of pain, then burnt it; set his pain alight, "gave it to the wind."
- Returned to his Uluru community to learn about his ancestry, try to improve conditions through his music, films.
- Says the key to staying positive is letting go of your pain, but also being willing and open to talking about it-this can foster change.