Bob's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
St. Louis, MO
Public Television: Season 2
I never sat down and thought, 'I'm going to build a monster truck.' It just happened.
auto, mechanic, monster trucks, racing, timing
- Started a small four-wheel drive shop.
- Was always improving his own truck, showing it off, racing it.
- Kept breaking things, kept putting, bigger heavier components on the truck.
- “Vicious cycle”: he’d put on a bigger axle, need a bigger engine, put on bigger tires, need a bigger axle, etc.
- After four or five of these “resizings,” had the first ever “monster truck” on his hands: Bigfoot.
- Decided to drive Bigfoot over a couple of old cars for fun, filmed it with a VHS camera.
- Motorsports promoter saw the footage, convinced Bob to crush cars for a live audience.
- Was convinced Bigfoot’s popularity wouldn’t last, resolved to go to every show and competition he could—made a huge difference in the long run.