Beverly's Open Road
You Don't Know (0:24)
Money Is Not The Cure-All (0:32)
The Movie Offer (1:33)
Trapped Spider (1:00)
Say Yes (0:38)
Long Island, NY
Public Television: Season 11
adversity, bullying, contract, depression, Disney, feminist, Fox, freelance, God, Italian, monastery, movies, poems, say yes, sexual assault, single parent, trust, welfare, writer, writing
- Grew up working class; started ditching high school, got pregnant before she graduated.
- Enrolled in community college and struggled: didn't have a car, couldn't mind babysitters.
- Got an "F" on her English thesis; later became her autobiography, Riding in Cars with Boys.
- Was offered film rights for her book, held out on huge amounts of money until she found a deal that kept her involved.
- "Just say "yes": never wanted to write for magazines but found some amazing opportunities, loved it.
- Found financial success, critical acclaim, but still struggled with depression.
- Moved into a monastery for four years to "heal" after experiencing a major trauma.
- Says even the worst experiences in her life worked out in the end, led her to the person and writer she is today.