Beverly's Open Road
The Movie Offer (1:33)
Say Yes (0:38)
Trapped Spider (1:00)
Money Is Not The Cure-All (0:32)
You Don't Know (0:24)
Life is difficult. Bad happens. What are you going to do? You just have to make the best of everything. Trust that the universe is leading you along. It's all a process.
- Grew up working class; started ditching high school, got pregnant before she graduated.
- Enrolled in community college and struggled: didn't have a car, couldn't mind babysitters.
- Got an "F" on her English thesis; later became her autobiography, Riding in Cars with Boys.
- Was offered film rights for her book, held out on huge amounts of money until she found a deal that kept her involved.
- "Just say "yes": never wanted to write for magazines but found some amazing opportunities, loved it.
- Found financial success, critical acclaim, but still struggled with depression.
- Moved into a monastery for four years to "heal" after experiencing a major trauma.
- Says even the worst experiences in her life worked out in the end, led her to the person and writer she is today.