Beth's Open Road
Work Hard (0:22)
All Experience (0:24)
Work Hard (0:49)
The Original Roadtrip
New York, NY
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
BETH MCCARTHY MILLER
Saturday Night Live and the MTV Video Music Awards
college, directing, education, entertainment industry, experience, happiness, leading, learning, money, MTV, network, opening doors, passion, persevere, practical, professional, saturday night live, success, successful, work hard
- Always knew she wanted to work in the entertainment industry.
- As an intern at MTV, she had directors sit her down and say, "You should be a director."
- Realized that as a child, she'd always been the "bossy" one, putting on productions, giving her friends directions.
- Says her internship at MTV was amazing because they were in an experimental phase; she was exposed to shows in all kinds of formats.
- Held out for the job she really wanted, even though it meant years of working long hours with low pay.
- "Not every experience is gonna be a 'wow,' but it might open up the doors to something else."
- Waiting paid off-got a job directing The Jon Stewart Show, which led to directing SNL.
- SNL gig led to a plethora of jobs directing comedy shows, among them 30 Rock, The Mindy Show, Parks and Recreation.