Beth's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
The Original Roadtrip
New York, NY
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
BETH MCCARTHY MILLER
Saturday Night Live and the MTV Video Music Awards
directing, entertainment industry, happiness, leading, mtv, opening doors, practical, saturday night live
- Always knew she wanted to work in the entertainment industry.
- As an intern at MTV, she had directors sit her down and say, “You should be a director.”
- Realized that as a child, she’d always been the “bossy” one, putting on productions, giving her friends directions.
- Says her internship at MTV was amazing because they were in an experimental phase; she was exposed to shows in all kinds of formats.
- Held out for the job she really wanted, even though it meant years of working long hours with low pay.
- “Not every experience is gonna be a ‘wow,’ but it might open up the doors to something else.”
- Waiting paid off—got a job directing The Jon Stewart Show, which led to directing SNL.
- SNL gig led to a plethora of jobs directing comedy shows, among them 30 Rock, The Mindy Show, Parks and Recreation.