Bennie's Open Road
If you have to justify what you do on a daily basis, if you have to justify it to yourself, then you're probably doing the wrong thing.
- Grew up "dirt poor" on a Navajo reservation.
- Knew he wanted to do something creative with his life, but says, "on the reservation, you can be creative, but you won't get paid for it."
- Spent his youth working service jobs but always looking for a way off the reservation, a way to further himself.
- Got into college; flunked out after just one year.
- Too embarrassed to tell his mom he got kicked out; told her he was exploring other options.
- Took a job at a radio station, loved it; developed the idea for his first documentary.
- Went back to college at the University of Texas to study filmmaking.
- After graduating, he finally told his mom that he'd failed on his first try, all those years ago.