Ben's Open Road
Best Ideas In The World (1:11)
Define Success (0:44)
Dropping Out Of College (1:10)
Rubber Band With a Hook (1:15)
Thursday Nights (1:03)
Speed is What We Do (0:44)
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 12
business, college, drop out, idea, ideas, international, inventions, math, mission, money, New York, path, pick your battles, product, purpose, school, student, success, unique, vision
- Calls himself a bad student ("probably about as bad as you can get"), with a 1.7 high school GPA.
- Didn't care about his classes, was more focused on how he could secretly listen to his iPod.
- Developed headphones with wires that looked like lanyards to make them less noticeable.
- Convinced his parents to take out a second mortgage to put up the funding for him to go to China and develop his product.
- Started a company, Mophie, around this product; dropped out of college to focus on the business.
- Says college didn't fulfill him because he wasn't doing things, he was just talking about doing things.
- Realized that he wasn't the only person to have a great idea, but he'd gotten lucky to find the funds to develop his.
- Founded Quirky to give everyday inventors the means to produce and sell their own great ideas.