Arianne's Open Road
The Crow (2:05)
Being a Costume Designer (1:04)
Your Generation (0:33)
There is no dividing line between my work and my lifestyle; my work is my lifestyle.
- Moved from her small hometown of Santa Cruz to New York City, pursuing dream of becoming a stylist.
- Briefly met photographer Arthur Elgort through a friend of a friend; he told her to get a job at Condé Nast.
- Called Condé Nast and faked it: put herself forward as Elgort's close friend, got an interview at Vogue.
- Kept up an attitude of, "What do I have to lose?" Figured the worst that would happen was she'd move back home.
- Found a niche within the fashion industry she liked: styling rock musicians.
- Got her big break styling her friend Lenny Kravitz; styled him unconventionally, but fans started responding, emulating his accessories.
- From there, accumulated more rock star clients; decided to make the jump into movie costume styling.
- Was nominated for an Academy Award for her costume design work on the film "Walk the Line."