Anthony's Open Road
Change of Direction (0:51)
How Can You Get There (0:51)
The Family Doctor (0:23)
Here, There and Everywhere
Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine
change, childhood, community, doctor, education system, experimenting, exposure, family doctor, house calls, human cells, improvement, learning, medical school, organs, patient, physician, research, residency, surgeon, teaching
- Was originally inspired to go into medicine by his childhood physician, one of the few who still made house calls.
- Debated going into medicine, didn't know if he wanted to put so much time, schooling into it.
- Realized that it was his passion, and he was willing to dedicate the time required to become a doctor.
- Planned on doing primary care in a small community, like his childhood doctor had.
- As he did surgeries, he was constantly "devastated" by the fact that the tissues he was transplanting into his patients weren't ideal.
- Knew that there was a better way to find tissue and organ matches for his patients.
- Created the world's first tissue-engineered organ in 1997, started a lab regenerating new tissues and organs from patients' own cells.
- Likens life to his research: "Many times you go through 100 experiments before one works."