Ann's Open Road
Getting Political (1:09)
Take Control Of Your Life (0:25)
You Can Do Anything You Want (0:54)
Follow Your Passion (1:43)
Public Television: Season 2
Anita Hill hearing, applying yourself, art school, business, drawing, drop out, editorial cartoon, floundering, graphic design, journalism, keep trying, open doors, opinions, options, take control, taking advantage, taking control, the unknown, Tiananmen Square protests, wall street
- Had always enjoyed art, and specifically the act of drawing.
- Was going to Arizona State University, studying graphic design, but felt she was “floundering,” didn’t feel motivated.
- Everyone around her was majoring in business, but she wanted to study something that was truly her passion.
- Decided she needed to go to art school if she wanted to really apply herself and get serious about her goals.
- Was animating for Disney, started feeling politically motivated by the Tiananmen Square protests, the Anita Hill hearings.
- Was inspired to draw a series of political cartoons; sent them to newspapers across the country.
- Liked the medium of editorial cartoons because she had always been very opinionated, saw she could express opinions through art.
- Won the Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning in 2001; only the second female cartoonist to do so.