Angela, Juliana and Rowena's Open Road
Newcastle, New South Wales AUS
Public Television: Season 5
ANGELA, JULIANA AND ROWENA FOONG
High Tea with Mrs. Woo
adventure, adventurous, Australia, communication, crying, excitement, family, fashion, fighting, frustration, good intentions, immigrant, Malaysia, migrate, new life, opportunity, overprotective, parents, rebellion, seamstress
- Parents immigrated to Australia from Malaysia to give their daughters better lives, more opportunities.
- Parents had been seamstresses in Malaysia, didn't want their daughters to have the same hard, impoverished lives.
- Ironically, the girls all naturally leaned towards fashion and sewing, away from accounting or law.
- Girls started sewing to make the most of their limited resources, stay fashionable on a budget.
- Because of their seamstressing experiences, the girls' parents fought hard against them starting a clothing line.
- They've vowed to put sisterhood and family first, business second.
- They say that once your parents see you happy in your profession, all of their expectations and worries evaporate.
- Parents came around to the point that their dad now cuts out articles and inspiration from fashion magazines.