Andy's Open Road
Chairman / CEO
All of the voices around me were telling me to stay in the world that I was in, but I wanted a different path.
- As a young adult, he wanted to be a lawyer; never expected to be running a national education company.
- Went to Duke University in North Carolina for his undergraduate studies; completed his Juris Doctor degree at Yale Law School.
- Worked as a lawyer for Newsweek magazine, which was viewed as a prestigious job; his wife’s parents liked to show him off as “their son-in-law, the lawyer for Newsweek.”
- But as a lawyer, he felt like he was always battling other people, when his desire was to work in tandem with others to build things.
- He took a job in Westchester, New York, running a test preparation center for Kaplan.
- To most people, that seemed like he was taking a step down from his former, more distinguished job.
- But he knew that if he wanted to build something that could improve the world, he’d need to enter the business world.
- Therefore, he was willing to take that “step back and to the side” in order to get onto the path that he wanted to be on; has since worked his way up to become chairman and CEO of Kaplan.