Amanda's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Brisbane, Queensland AUS
Public Television: Season 5
Transgender Health Advocate/Health Promotions Officer
Queensland Association for Healthy Communities
accepting yourself, being ashamed, being different, depression, happiness, hiding, identity, parents, self discovery, self expression, skateboarding, strength, transgender
- Knew she liked to dress up in girls’ clothes, but didn’t have transgender peers, so wasn’t sure how to express herself.
- Spent most of her childhood feeling like there was something “wrong” with her.
- Found a “safe place” at her university, where people were more open about expressing their sexualities and identities.
- Once she felt comfortable, she left one semester as “Adam,” came back as Amanda.
- Was terrified that she would lose her family, friends once she came out, but found a surprising amount of support.
- Has dealt with depression, has seen trans friends commit suicide; says it’s an everyday struggle.
- Chose the name Amanda as an homage to the name that her parents had given her.
- Says you should always value your own happiness over financial success, or the need to appease others.