Alyson's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Here, There and Everywhere
Anthropology, athletics, creativity, critique, design, drawing, embarrassement, fashion, first step, inferior, insecurity, material, nervous breakdown, paralyzed, photography, running, sports, University of Colorado at Boulder, University of Florida, validation
- Didn’t take any art classes in high school; focused on athletics, ran track for Florida State.
- Realized she was running from something; had a breakdown, quit track, reevaluated her interests.
- Took an art class as an elective and says “it just stuck”; changed her major soon after.
- Originally hated drawing because she felt that everything had to look a certain way.
- Stopped worrying about drawing things perfectly and found her own style; drawing became her favorite medium.
- Had a corporate job that allowed her to be creative, but within set parameters.
- Realized if she wanted to be happy, she’d have to quit and devote herself to making, creating for herself.
- After her big break on Design*Sponge, she finally felt comfortable calling herself an “artist.”