Aleks' Open Road
Take Care Of Yourself First (1:31)
How To Change The World (0:37)
Stepping Up (1:41)
A Sisterly Push (1:29)
It's Not My Job, It's My Life (0:33)
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 7
Acceptance Beliefs & Faith Character Community Culture Dedication Desire Education Experience Fulfillment Hard Work Inspiration Opportunity Perseverance Pressure Pride Regrets Self-Reflection Struggle Values Family Support & Encouragement
accomplishment, activism, drumming, drums, gangs, happiness, having purpose, keeping busy, language barrier, literacy, making a difference, mentors, organizing, positivity, possibility, priorities, real life, school, self discovery, travel
- Was initiated into a gang at a young age; got involved with alcohol and drugs.
- Dropped out of middle school; felt dissociated from the European culture she was being taught.
- Her sisters convinced her to start taking classes at Loco Bloco, where she studied cooking, drums and theater.
- Got so caught up having fun and learning at these workshops, she stopped drinking, got off the streets.
- Loco Bloco inspired her to work hard and save her money so she could travel and learn more.
- Recognized the profound influence her mentors had on her; knew that she wanted to pay it forward.
- Was appointed executive director of Loco Bloco at the young age of 25.
- Has one regret, which is not finishing school; always pushing the value of an education to her mentees.