Alastair's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 1
Mother Jones Magazine
clarity, Europe, exposure, investment banking, learning, manual labor, maturity, publishing, responsibility, self discovery, ski resort, skiing, space, travel, try things
- Spent six months postgrad as a ski bum in Switzerland.
- Moved to the U.S. with no friends and no connections; painted houses for a year.
- Fell "behind" his peers career-wise but had seen much more of the world.
- Stumbled into a job in investment banking; made a good amount of money but never loved it.
- Took his savings and traveled the world for 18 more months.
- Had always been interested in literature, realized he wanted to work in publishing.
- Saw an opening for the assistant to the publisher of Mother Jones, talked his way into the job.
- Stresses the importance of taking vacations, seeing the world rather than putting all of your time and focus into work.