Alana's Open Road
Seizing Opportunity (1:15)
Glass Half Full (1:02)
Passport of a Degree (1:19)
Always Aspire (0:43)
Need To Be Equal (1:34)
Left Side of the Brain (0:49)
ALANA WARD ROBINSON
Robinson Group Consulting
I decide, and I do it, and then I figure out: Was it a good or a bad thing? And if it was a bad thing, what did I learn from it?
- Grew up in segregated south Louisiana.
- After the "Freedom of Choice" law passed, decided to go to the majority white school to get a better education.
- Rather than wallowing in the fact that no one sat next to her on the school bus, she enjoyed having a seat to herself.
- Found her passion for programming in high school, got her Bachelor's degree in computer science and applied mathematics.
- First woman of color in a programming position at the Shreveport IBM office.
- Faced discrimination at her job at IBM-certain clients didn't want to work with an African-American woman.
- Never saw being the only woman or the only person of color in her industry as a limiting factor.
- Fought for an equal wage after learning that men in her same position were making much more money.