Al's Open Road
One Thing Leads To Another (0:58)
Goals Are Good (0:35)
Fear As A Driving Force (1:03)
Being The Best I Could Be (0:19)
Santa Barbara, CA
Public Television: Season 2
Channel Island Surfboards
aptitude, best you can be, college, direction, drive, empire, energy, future, happiness, hurry, motivation, odd jobs, parents, praying, rush, school, sculpting, self taught, surfing
- In high school, he felt like he had no direction, especially compared to his peers.
- Went to college for two years because it was "the thing to do," but says it just wasn't for him.
- Taught himself how to shape surfboards.
- Knew what kind of designs he wanted/what would work from his own experience surfing.
- Never thought he could make a career out of shaping until well-known surfers started using his boards.
- Says he had the most fun during the "lean times" before he had financial success.
- Didn't feel any encouragement from his family, who thought he'd never make a living shaping boards.
- Says that fear has driven much of what he's done-the fear of failure gives him his drive.