Aimee's Open Road
You Have to Push Through (0:40)
There is a Path (0:39)
Career Struggles (0:59)
VP of Education, Philanthropy, and STEM Learning
Battelle Memorial Institute
Starting from scratch is the best because you can be whatever you want to be.
- Wanted to go into teaching because she wanted to show kids that a good education could lead them down any path they chose.
- Says that the best schools in the nation right now are not the schools who follow traditional educational routes.
- Was formerly the Chief Academic Officer of Metro Early College High School, which focuses on STEM fields.
- Only once her students started outperforming others on the state tests did people start believing in Metro's vision.
- Says her goal is to reach the kids who aren't good at "playing school."
- Believes every kid needs someone who says to them, "Of course you can get an A. Of course you can go to college!"
- Says the best part of a teacher's day can't be the planning or the grading-it has to be the hours in the classroom with the kids.
- Now works for Battelle, where she fosters the development of more STEM-centred schools like Metro.